Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Favorite Book and Libreria Martinez Event

René Colato Laínez

Do you have a favorite children’s book? Why?

La bloga asked these questions to these acclaimed authors. Here are their answers.


This is an impossible question! I have many favorite picture books and many favorite authors. Here are some of the best of the best--with my particular recommendations:
Kevin Henkes (Chrysanthemum), Pat Mora (Dona Flor), Yuyi Morales (Little Night), Amada Irma Perez (Nana's Big Surprise), and David Shannon(A Bad Case of the Stripes) and Jaqueline Woodson (Show Way).

Monica Brown, author of My Name is Gabito: The Life of Gabriel Garcia Marquez. www.monicabrown.net


My favorite picture book from childhood is one titled Wet Albert by Michael and Joanne Cole. It's a book about a boy who is followed by a grey cloud that rains on him non-stop so his daily costume is a rain slicker. No one wants to play with Albert, except for his baby sister, but only if it's on a seesaw, she on the one end (dry), Albert on the opposite. He learns to use this hardship for good. A man lends him a helicopter to travel the world in search of drought-ridden regions, where he stays until the drought is over. I guess I liked it so much, and still do, because he was my introduction to the super-power superhero. Someone who could do so much good when the odds were against him.

As for a contemporary title: I really like Just a Minute by Yuyi Morlales. The art is awesome, the story is so cool.

Bueno,
Abrazos,
René, el otro.

René Saldaña Jr. , Author of The Jumping Tree. http://renesaldanajr.blogspot.com


MY FAVORITE BOOK? I HAVE TOO MANY ...But when I was little it was The Wizard of Oz...
thanks.
love and peace,
aip

Amada Irma Pérez, Author of Big Nana’s Surprise/ Nana, ¡Qué Sorpresa! . www.amadairmaperez.com


My favorite book is La mujer que brillaba aún más que el sol / The Woman Who Outshone the Sun. When I became a teacher, I found this book in the classroom. I felt in love with the magical Lucia Zenteno, the main character. I read the story many times. This book inspired me to write my own stories. That day I said, “I want to write a book like this.”

René Colato Lainez, Author of Playing Loteria/ El juego de la lotería. www.renecolatolainez.com



Librería Martinez Event

Please join this event to help the struggling independent, bilingual bookstore in Santa Ana, Libreria Martinez. Lori Polydoros is putting on an event in conjunction with Orange County Educational Arts Academy (www.oceaa.org,) on May 17th from 12:30-2:30. It will be a day to promote reading and to promote this wonderful, bilingual bookstore. There will be many activities, games, readings, and raffles for Kids and parents.

Authors/illustrators: Joyce Lee Wong, Norma Samuelson, Barb Odanaka, and Kim Rappier will be reading their books. If you are an author and will like to be part of this event contact Lori at kidtales@hotmail.com


No comments: